The Resilient Heart™New! Trauma-Sensitive HeartMath® Course and Certification
For professionals working in a therapeutic relationship with individuals who have experienced traumatic stress
This certification course was especially designed by trauma specialists for professionals who provide, or would like to provide, trauma-informed care.
This trauma-sensitive certification course contains 12 hours of trauma-focused video content, parsed into 49 brief episodes. Practitioners learn how to incorporate the HeartMath skill set in a trauma-sensitive manner to build their client’s capacities for resilience, emotional regulation and reconnection with their sense of self-security and well-being.
The tools, techniques and overall HeartMath skill set are taught to be used as an adjunct to support and facilitate a variety of trauma-focused therapies (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, EMDR, Hakomi, Somatic Experiencing and more) to improve client symptoms associated with traumatic stress. It is not meant to replace or be used in isolation for trauma processing.
Watch highlight video below
Beautifully filmed, this course combines masterful knowledge, intuitive wisdom and powerfully emotional stories from trauma practitioners from around the world, woven together with compelling cinematic moments to create a distinctly unique and engaging course that is both educational and heart-warming to watch.
Self-Paced Learning with Live Q&A Sessions
Trauma Sensitive HeartMath Certification
Upon successful competion of the final exam, your certificate will read: Trauma‑Sensitive HeartMath® Certified Practitioner.
While enrollment is open to all, certification is only for those holding a current mental health or health care license or related certification.
Videos 12 hours of
6 Techniques HeartMath
Specialists Monthly Q&A
Included with this Course:
- 12 hours of self-paced videos – This beautifully filmed, docuseries style course includes knowledge, wisdom and practical tips from 20 trauma specialists.
- HeartMath skill set including 6 techniques – Learn and teach 6 evidence-based HeartMath self-regulation techniques in a trauma-sensitive manner.
- Monthly Q&A with HeartMath Certified Trauma Specialists – Join monthly online Q&A sessions with trauma specialists who are experienced in integrating HeartMath techniques into several different treatment modalities. Join in with a community of trauma-sensitive specialists.
- Personal practice and self-reflection – A key to your success as a practitioner is your own ability to self-regulate and connect more deeply with your heart and the hearts of your clients.
- Comprehensive Resource Library – Resource Library includes client handouts, manual with course notes and relevant publications.
- Certification – Your certificate will read: Trauma-Sensitive HeartMath Certified Practitioner.
In this Course, You Will:
- Learn practical tools to use "in the moment" that build resilience and improve the capacity for emotional regulation for yourself and your clients or patients.
- Learn about heart rate variability (HRV) as a measure of physiological regulation, and how to use HRV biofeedback as an additional tool for self-regulation.
- Learn to use and teach the HeartMath skill set in a trauma-sensitive manner.
- Gain foundational, up-to-date knowledge about the neurophysiology of traumatic stress, attachment, developmental trauma, intergenerational trauma and collective trauma.
- Discover how to integrate HeartMath with other trauma-focused therapies including EMDR, Brainspotting, somatic-based practices, exposure and wilderness and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Learn new and powerful perspectives of how the intelligence of the heart can help to address some of the most challenging aspects of trauma’s impact on the mind and body.
Over a Century of Trauma Therapy Experience
Learn from highly skilled practitioners specializing in a wide variety of trauma-focused therapies including EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), Brainspotting, Hakomi, Somatic Experiencing, Wilderness Therapy, Acupuncture and Polarity and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
Steve Sawyer, LCSW, CSAC, Dr. Sara Gilman, Psy.D., LMFT, Susann von Meijenfeldt, RSW, CPCC, CHT and Sheva Carr, MA, L.Ac., BCPP, RPP, RPE.
Learn from medical and science experts about the neurophysiology of trauma, the neurophysiology of emotions and heart-brain interactions:
Dr. Jorina Elbers, MD, MS.c. and Rollin McCraty, Ph.D.
Special Guest Interviews with:
Dr. Daniel Siegel, MD, John Gottman, Ph.D. and Julie Gottman, Ph.D., and Thomas Huebl
From the Front Lines
Nine long-time HeartMath Certified Practitioners share in-depth, revealing their successful, yet simple methods of integrating the HeartMath techniques into their trauma-focused therapies.
Populations covered include:
- At-Promise Youth
- Survivors of human trafficking
- Incarcerated women
- Children and teens
- And others
In total, you will receive comprehensive trauma-informed knowledge from a diverse group of 20 health professionals experienced in treating trauma, providing a rich expanse of information and expertise across topics, including the neurophysiology of trauma, developmental trauma, collective trauma and the different modalities used to treat trauma.
Course Content – 8 Parts
Heart-Focused Care for the Caregiver
Your capacity to care for others depends on how you care for yourself. Part One includes heart-focused tools for building your own resilience and introduces the concept of "HeartSpace", which facilitates co-regulation and attunement between you and your client/patient.
Understanding the Impact of Trauma
The impact of traumatic stress is psychological, physiological and relational, interfering with our health, our well-being, and our ability to relate to others. Part Two reviews the neurophysiology of trauma and how to introduce HeartMath tools and techniques to clients for emotional self-regulation.
Resetting a New Pattern for the Nervous System
Regular practice of techniques for emotional and physiological regulation widens our "Window of Tolerance" and increases our resilience. Part Three discusses the concepts of bottom-up processing, heart rate variability and coherence to create a new physiological baseline for the nervous system.
From Chaos to Coherence
Coherence is an optimal physiological state arising from integration and enables greater access to the intuitive self. Part Four discusses how integration of trauma creates coherence and how this can be utilized to increase our wisdom and access to our inner guidance system.
Integrating the Heart, Mind and Body for Trauma Healing
HeartMath tools and techniques can be used as an adjunctive skill for the treatment of trauma. Part Five discusses how to integrate the HeartMath skill set into a variety of trauma-focused therapies and across different client populations.
Rebuilding Trust and Relationships
Trauma interferes with our relationship with others and with ourselves. Part Six deals with the relational impact of trauma and how HeartMath techniques can be used to create a bridge for trauma survivors to safely reconnect with themselves and with others to foster trust and relationships.
Teaching a Child to Love Again
Whether you work with children or with adults who used to be children, knowledge about childhood trauma and attachment is essential. Part Seven discusses the signs of trauma in children, how attachment patterns influence their response to traumatic events, how to use HeartMath with children and parents, and how to help communities heal inter-generational trauma.
The Collective Experience of Trauma and Healing
Trauma is a collective experience with shadows that affect us all. Part Eight discusses the impact of collective trauma, how to facilitate and use HeartMath for group trauma processing, and the concept of post-traumatic growth and resilience.
Eligibility for Certification
Course enrollment is open to everyone. A Certificate of Completion will be issued to those who choose to take the multiple-choice question exam and pass with >75% correct. Repeated attempts at the exam are accepted to obtain the passing mark.
Eligibility Criteria to become a Trauma-Sensitive HeartMath™ Certified Practitioner:
State, provincial or nationally licensed or certified professionals as listed below:
- Licensed Mental Health Professionals
- Licensed Medical Professionals
- Certified Health Professionals (training must include consultation, mentoring, in-person training, or internship)
- Students in a licensure-track medical or mental health educational program
For questions regarding eligibility for certification, please complete this Certification Eligibility Request form.
Applicants must achieve >75% on the course final exam.
Required Documentation of Certification Eligibility
Applicants will be required to upload a copy of their professional designation document(s) indicating proof of current licensure, certification, or student status.
Sale Price $245
(The enrollment fee has been reduced because of the COVID-19 Pandemic)
Attend Live Q&A Sessions
Join monthly online Q&A sessions with trauma specialists experienced in integrating HeartMath techniques into several different treatment modalities.
Join in with a community of trauma-sensitive specialists. Sessions are held the 1st Wednesday of each month between 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time.
- This course includes our 60-day, 100% satisfaction, money-back guarantee.
- This special Covid period discount price may change without notice.
- The course does not provide Continuing Education (CE) Credits.