HeartMath® Interventions Program FAQs
Question: Do I need to take the HeartMath® Interventions Program (HMIP) in order to teach my clients or patients HeartMath tools and technology?
Answer: Many of our products are designed for self-learning and easy to use for instruction. For example our computer-based and handheld emWave® products have many features that can facilitate the instruction of HeartMath’s basic coherence-building skill, the Quick Coherence® Technique.
Many health professionals use HeartMath technology (emWave and Inner Balance Trainer technologies) to teach their patients or clients how to effectively reduce stress using the equipment and or HeartMath self-regulation techniques. However, there are numerous clinical applications that are better served through a specific teaching protocol and/or a combination of a variety of HeartMath tools.
The in-depth information and training included in HMIP is not available in any of our other programs. In addition to learning the ‘ins and outs’ of using our emWave technology in clinical settings, this program includes specific protocols for teaching 5 core HeartMath emotional refocusing and restructuring techniques. The HMIP also includes ongoing support from HeartMath faculty who will be available to answer your clinical and technical questions.
Finally, upon completion of the course, you may opt for certification. Those who do, and meet the certification requirements, receive a certificate acknowledging their status as a Certified HeartMath Practitioner.
Question: Do I have to attend any classroom sessions?
Answer: No. HeartMath Interventions Certification Program is an online program that includes home study, online Webinars, recorded presentations and on-going online support.
Question: Why do I have to agree to the terms stated in the Letter of Agreement?
Answer: By virtue of taking HMI, you have HeartMath’s permission to use the confidential and copyrighted information, processes and materials included in the program. The Agreement is the primary way HeartMath maintains the standards and boundaries of the program. The Agreement states what we agree to do and what you agree to in regard to these materials and in order to make the claim you were trained by HeartMath in the HMI program.
Question: What does individual instruction mean?
Answer: HMI protocols are designed to be used in clinical modalities and settings. Typically, this means treating individual patients and clients. This program is not designed for instruction of the HeartMath System outside of the clinical or therapeutic setting, like public workshops, lectures, conferences, courses, etc. We have other programs each with their own unique processes and guidelines for these venues.
Because we realize that some clinical applications include group therapy, we consider these ‘groups’ an extension of individual instruction and HMI includes specific protocols for this type of context and use. Other uses of the HMI program outside of the clinical setting may be acceptable in some specific cases, but those uses have to be approved by HeartMath’s Director of Training and Licensing.
Question: How is this program different than HeartMath’s Mentor Program?
Answer: Building Personal Resilience, a certification for coaches, mentors and individuals working one-on-one with clients, in a non clinical capacity, is open to non-health care professionals. It does not include therapeutic applications of the HeartMath System nor does it require you hold a health professional credential. HeartMath Coach/Mentors have a license which allows them to promote and ‘sell’ individual HeartMath instruction to the general public. E.g. life coaching, professional development, stress management education, sports performance, etc.
The HMIP course is significantly more academic, includes in-depth scientific information and specific assessment protocols. HMIP focuses on clinical applications of HeartMath tools and technology and offers a certification option. For more details on the Building Personal Resilience™ Mentor Certification, Click here.
Question: How much is the HeartMath® Interventions Program course?
Answer: The HMIP fee is $795 and includes the emWave Pro Plus, the HMIP manual and the four-Transforming Series books. Scholarships may be available to some community-based agencies and clinics and certain educational institutions that work with under-resourced populations. Your HeartMath representative will let you know if you qualify.
Question: How do I sign up for the course?
Answer: You can purchase the course online. Click here. You will receive an email with your enrollment code and a link to the course. You will need to register on the learning platform and include the enrollment code found in your confirmation email sent to you upon purchase.
Question: Can I resell HeartMath products?
Answer: Many health professions choose to make products available to their clients or patients. You may set up a resellers account to receive discounts on a variety of products, including the emWave technology. Contact your HeartMath representation for more information.
Question: Do I automatically get a discount on HeartMath products?
Answer: From time to time HeartMath offers special discounted prices to health professionals. As an HMI participant, unless you opt out you will automatically receive these notices. Otherwise, you may prefer to open a reseller’s account.
Question: Do I have to pay any additional fees, like royalties?
Answer: No, there are no additional charges, fees or royalties. However, if you take the certification option, which is valid for three years, there is a small processing fee for renewal.
Question: What are the renewal requirements?
Answer: Certified HeartMath Practitioners will receive notification of renewal 1 month before their 3 year anniversary. To renew you will have to submit an on-line form that asks you to confirm your contact information, preview the latest science presentations that are posted in the HMI community Library and pay the $100 processing fee.
Question: Can I get CEUs?
Answer: While CEU’s are not available for the HMIP course, you can receive 20 Continuing Education Credits by taking the HeartMath Clinical Certification for Stress, Anxiety and Self-Regulation. This certification course does not include the emWave Pro Plus or the Transforming series of books.
Question: My patients don’t speak English. Can I translate the forms and handouts?
Answer: Yes. However, all translations are considered ‘derivative works’ as noted in the Letter of Agreement and as such must be submitted to the HMIP administrator for approval before distribution. This includes any information you wish to ‘publish’ on your Website. You are responsible for translations including all related costs.
Question: What is the Eligibility for Certificate of Completion? Course enrollment is open to all learners. A Certificate of Completion will be issued to learners who choose to take the multiple-choice question exam and pass with >75% correct. Repeated attempts at the exam are accepted to obtain the passing mark.
Question: What is the requirement for certification?
Answer: We require that participants have prior clinical, practitioner-level training in order to receive their certification as a “HeartMath Practitioner”. Please see the list of eligible professionals. Upon completion of the course, you will need to pass the test and provide documentation of your license/certification.
State, provincial or nationally licensed or certified professionals as listed below:
- Licensed Mental Health Professionals
- Licensed Medical Professionals
- Certified Health Professionals (training must include consultation, mentoring, in-person training, or internship)
- Ordained Clergy
- Students in a licensure-track medical or mental health educational program
Professional Standards for Certification: List of Eligible Professionals
Note: Equivalent certifying bodies in countries outside the US are acceptable.
Licensed Mental Health Professionals
- Addictions, Alcohol and Drug, Chemical Dependency/Substance Abuse Counselor
- Behavior Analyst (board certified)
- Child Life Specialist
- EMDR Practitioner
- Hakomi Practitioner
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- Licensed Professional Counselor
- Marriage and Family Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Occupational Therapist Assistant
- Psychologist Assistant
- Recreational Therapist
- Social Worker
- Somatic Experiencing Practitioner
- Somatosensory Integration Practitioner
- Speech Language Therapist
Licensed Medical Professionals
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Medical Doctor (MD, DO, MBBS)
- Nurse – LPN, LVN, RN, BSN, MSN, PhD, Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Practice Nurse
- Physical Therapist
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Physician Assistant
- Registered Dietician
Certified Health Professionals
(training must include consultation, mentoring, in-person training, or internship)
- Alexander Technique – certified by an AmSAT-certified teacher
- Anat Baniel Method NeuroMovement Practitioner
- Art Therapist from a program accredited by the American Art Therapy Association
- Ayurvedic practitioners certified by NAMA-approved programs
- Biodynamic Breathwork & Trauma Release Facilitator
- Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapist
- Biofeedback Technician – certified by BCIA
- Biofeedback Practitioner – certified by BCIA
- Biodynamic Breathwork & Trauma Release System (BBTRS) Practitioner
- BodyTalk Practitioner
- Brainspotting Practitioner
- Brennan Healing Science Practitioner
- Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist – certified by the NSTRC
- CHEK Practitioner certified by the CHEK Institute
- Craniosacral Therapist certified by the Upledger Institute
- Doula, Certified
- Eden Energy Medicine
- Emotional Freedom Technique Practitioner certified by ACEP or EFT International
- Equine Assisted Learning Facilitator
- Equine Assisted Therapist
- Feldenkrais Practitioner
- Functional Diagnostic Nutrition® Practitioner
- Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
- Hanna Somatic Education® Practitioner
- Healing Touch Practitioner
Health & Wellness Coaches from programs approved by the National Board for Health & Wellness Coaching and Wellcoaches
Note: Other coaches (life, personal, etc.) are not eligible. Refer to our Building Personal Resilience program.
- Health Educator certified by NCHEC
- Homeopath – certified by the CHC, ABHt, HANP or NASH
- Hypnotherapist certified by AAPH, ASCH, or SCEH
- Integrative Nutrition Health Coach certified by IIN
- Massage Therapist – Licensed or Certified
- Medical Herbalist registered with AHG Certification requirements
- Medical Qijong Practitioner from programs approved by NCCAOM
- Music Therapist certified by CBMT
- Myofascial Release Therapist
- Neurofeedback Practitioner – certified by BCIA
- Neurofeedback Technician – certified by BCIA
- NLP Master Practitioner
- Nutritional Therapy Practitioner certified by NTA
- Nutritionist – Certified Clinical Nutritionist certified by the CNBC
- Nutritionist – Certified Nutritional Professional certified by the NANP
- Nutritionist – Certified Nutrition Specialist certified by BCNS
- Nutritionist – Holistic Nutritionist certified by the NANP
- Osteopathic Manual Practitioner certified by a member of the OIA
- Pilates Teacher – in-person training only
- Polarity therapists (RPP or RPE only – Advanced Training required)
- PSYCH-K (Facilitator or Instructor only)
- Quantum Touch Practitioner
- Reflexologist – certified by the American Reflexology Certification Board
- Registered Yoga Teacher certified by the Yoga Alliance
- Reiki (Level III or higher)
- Somatic Education Practitioner, Certified Clinical
- Somatic Movement Educators and Therapists
- Somatic Yoga Practitioner
- Tension and Trauma Release Practitioner
- Therapeutic Touch Practitioner
- Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioner (Acupuncturist, DAOM, etc.) from programs approved by NCCAOM
If you have questions about your professional eligibility for certification, please complete this Certification Eligibility Request form.
To receive more information contact:
- HeartMath for Health Professionals
- Telephone: (800) 711-6221
- Telephone: (831) 338-8506
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org