Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well
Doug Stone and Jeff Goelitz
We swim in an ocean of feedback, not only from bosses, colleagues and customers, but from family, friends and in-laws as well. They all have “suggestions” for our performance, parenting, appearance and more. We know feedback is essential for healthy relationships and professional development, but we dread it just the same – and often dismiss it.
Stone explains why receiving feedback is so crucial – and so challenging, and it offers a powerful framework to help us take on life’s blizzard of off-hand comments, annual evaluations and unsolicited advice with curiosity and grace.
- The three kinds of feedback: appreciation, coaching and evaluation.
- What to do when feedback feels like an attack on your identity.
- Learn when feedback is constructive and when it crosses the line.
- How to prosper from feedback. Grow and develop yourself.
- Creating a system to use feedback to your advantage in challenging circumstances.
- How to redirect unhelpful feedback.