For Law Enforcement, Fire and Other First Responders
Based on two decades of researching the physiology of optimal performance, the Coherence Advantage™ program provides a powerful framework of education and training that builds strength and resilience.
Law enforcement officers, firefighters, emergency medical services personnel and other first responders will learn to take charge and self-regulate their emotions in this training. The program incorporates proven tools and technology to build coherence, an optimal physiological state reflected in the harmonious functions of the body’s mental, emotional and physical systems. A simple formula is: Coherence = Composure. With practice, it is possible to shift to a more coherent and composed state before, during and after challenging or adverse situations, thus maximizing mental clarity and emotional stability.
Participants learn skills to self-generate coherence at will, which interrupts the body’s typical stress response, especially in the extreme situations first responders frequently face. As a result, they are able perform at their best and maintain their composure and operational stability.
The Coherence Advantage has been taught to thousands of active duty service members in the Navy, Army, Air Force and Special Forces Units. For example, all Sailors deploying on the mission of Detainee Operations are provided the Coherence Advantage for Military Service Members workshop and sustainability components.
The resilience-building techniques taught in the Coherence Advantage are designed intentionally to be simple, easy-to-use interventions that can be adapted to virtually any culture, setting or age group, regardless of religious beliefs or culture.
Practicing the self-regulation and resilience-building skills helps:
- Sharpen and maintain situational awareness.
- Increase mental clarity and flexible and focused thinking, especially under pressure.
- Improve reaction times and coordination.
- Reduce fatigue and sleeplessness.
- Reduce symptoms of operational stress.
- Build and sustain resilience.
- Decrease friction in relationships and improve communication.
Research shows Coherence Advantage has these benefits:
Significant reductions in:
- Psychological distress
- Emotional reactivity
- Blood pressure
- Blood sugar
- Positive outlook
- Goal clarity
- Perceived support
- Family connection
- Patience and understanding
- Ability to reset after critical incidents
The graph to the left, from a study of police officers, provides an example of one important benefit of learning and practicing the self-regulation techniques: the ability to reset after challenging situations.
Before the training, it took on average, over one hour for officers’ heart rates to return to their normal baseline rates. After training, the officers were able to quickly reset and bring their heart rates back to their normal baseline rates in a matter of minutes.
The Coherence Advantage Workshop Modules Include:
- Physiology of optimal performance.
- Resilience: What drains and renews it.
- Decision-making in complex environments.
- Self-situational awareness.
- Reducing the intensity of stress reactions.
- Shift and Reset, for reestablishing self-control.
- Prepping for challenging situations.
- Establishing a coherent baseline for sustaining resilience and emotional flexibility.
- Awareness of others for building team cohesion.
- Effective use of HeartMath’s emWave® technology Coherence System.
Coherence Advantage Program Components
In addition to the workshop, the Coherence Advantage Program includes several proven sustainability options to help reinforce the use of energy self-regulation and resilience-building skills participants learn in the workshop.
Sustainability Options Include:
- Leader Mentor Training
- Follow-up lessons
- Pocket guides
- emWave Performance technology
- E-mail reminders
- Leadership mentoring
Leader Mentor Training
The Coherence Advantage Leader Mentor Training provides selected team members with information and strategies to support and assist squad or team members in sustaining and reinforcing the self-regulation and resilience skills taught in the Coherence Advantage workshop. Practice and repetition are key to sustainability and actualizing the program’s benefits. Leader mentoring provides an effective strategy to facilitate the grounding and ongoing use of the skills by providing participants with consistent support from a mentor or coach.
emWave® Performance Technology
HeartMath recommends that each participant in the Coherence Advantage resilience training be issued the handheld emWave®2 coherence trainer, which utilizes state-of-the-art technology to objectively measure heart-rate variability (HRV) and coherence anywhere, any time. This training system facilitates learning how to get coherent – the foundation for mental clarity, stress tolerance and sustained resilience. The system, which uses visual and audio feedback, speeds and reinforces internalization of the self-regulation and resilience-building techniques.
- Measures and encourages coherence building.
- With practice, progressively increases individuals’ ability to shift to the coherence state on their own.
- Heightens clarity for discernment.
- Promotes balance and stability during or after stress-charged situations.
- Especially helps to prep and become coherent before engaging in potentially stressful events.
Trainers with the Institute of HeartMath can deliver the Coherence Advantage workshop, or train an instructor within your organization to give the program.
Please call (800) 711-6221 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your requirements.
Become a HeartMath Coherence Advantage Qualified Instructor
Through HeartMath’s Qualified Instructor Program, individuals and organizations receive licenses to train police, fire and other first responders throughout the United States and Canada. HeartMath will license participants as Qualified Instructors when they complete this training, which incorporates advanced scientific research into resilience, coherence and intuition. At its core are easy-to-learn self-regulation tools and resilience-building practices that help individuals become more physiologically and emotionally balanced. Some refer to this balance as a state of simultaneous relaxation, readiness and revitalization. Others call it active calm. Learning to use these skills enables first responders to consistently operate with more focus, composure and effectiveness.
Who Should Attend
- Trainers within your organization
- Independent trainers working with law enforcement and first responders
- Department Psychologists
Coherence Advantage Qualified Instructor Training Dates
- West Coast - Registration closes: June 14 – Pre-tele-mentoring begins 1 month prior to training July 26 - 29, 2013
- East Coast - Registration closes: Aug. 1 – Pre-tele-mentoring begins 1 month prior to training Sept. 19 - 22, 2013
- West Coast - Registration closes: Sept. 13 – Pre-tele-mentoring begins 1 month prior to training Oct. 25 - 28, 2013
Click here to apply for the Coherence Advantage Qualified Instructor Licensing Program, or call the Institute of HeartMath for more information: toll free (800) 711-6221, or (831) 338-8500.