HeartMath Interventions Certification Program
For Counselors, Psychologists and other Health Professionals.
Click to Learn More
Effective ADHD Intervention
Dr. Tony Lloyd discusses how HeartMath benefited students in his ADHD research study.
Click Here to Listen
Introduction: From years of scientific research into stress, emotions and the physiology of learning, the College De-Stress Handbook is the serious student’s personal roadmap through the maze of stressors and time demands guaranteed to show up on and off campus. With hard work, a moderate amount of play and care for your mental, physical and emotional well-being, college can be a great time in your life. The book’s practical tips and strategies will help college students establish greater resilience as they navigate the challenges and complexities of college life.
Special note: A number of items here have the label, *Free Services! These items contain lots of useful information, tips, observations and more to benefit you in your college years.)
Science/Professional Articles *Free Services!
Students wanting to learn more about the science behind the College De-Stress Handbook and topics like stress, emotions and other related subjects can click the titles of the following studies and professional articles for additional information.
- Emotion Self-Regulation, Psychophysiological Coherence, and Test Anxiety: Results from an Experiment Using Electrophysiological Measures. This investigates the effects of the TestEdge classroom-based emotion self-regulation program on measures of test anxiety, socioemotional function, test performance and heart-rate variability (HRV) in high school students.
- Science of the Heart: Exploring the Role of the Heart in Human Performance. This insightful and comprehensive monograph provides fundamental and detailed summaries of the Institute of HeartMath’s two decades of innovative research.
- Coherence: Bridging Personal, Social and Global Health. Of the many new scientific perspectives that emerged in the 20th century, one of the most profound is that the universe is wholly and enduringly interconnected and coherent.
- The Effects of Emotions on Short-Term Power Spectrum Analysis of Heart Rate Variability. This study shows that emotions affect our physical states and suggests that positive emotions could be beneficial in the treatment of conditions such as hypertension and possibly reduce the likelihood of sudden death in patients with congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease.
- Institute of HeartMath Research Library. To further read about research done in areas such as heart-brain interactions, health, cognitive performance, emotional stress, intuition, resilience and various clinical studies. The library features a large compilation of IHM and independent research in neurocardiology, psychology, medicine, education and physics among other fields.
Self-Assessment Tools *Free Services!
IHM is committed to people’s health and well-being, and toward that end, its researched-based Self-Assessment Tools – the Stress and Well-Being Survey™, Personal Tracker™ and Community Tracker™ – are available at no cost by logging onto the site if you are already registered or registering for free.
- Stress and Well Being Survey: Objectively assess the state of your heart, mind and emotions with HeartMath’s free in-depth Stress and Well-Being Survey to help you maintain optimal health and resilience.
- Personal Tracker: Track your Five Aspects of Well-Being: Physical Vitality, Emotional Vitality, Social Connectedness, Spiritual Connectedness and Overall Well-being with the Personal Tracker™; Survey 1 stores your data and reports your improvement trends over time; Survey 2 is used with the emWave2® to literally watch your state of well-being.
- Community Tracker: Stay informed about the health and well-being of other members of HeartMath’s global community with the Community Tracker™, which lets you see where in the world they live and how they are faring.
The emWave® Technology
HeartMath’s innovative emWave technology is designed to show you in real time how stress affects your body, displaying that information in the form of graphs, lights and sound. This technology trains students to become coherent and resilient.
- emWave Desktop® for Mac and PC: The emWave Desktop is a scientifically validated hardware/software system that teaches self-regulation techniques to help students create a more optimal state in which the heart, mind and emotions are operating more in-sync and balanced.
- Whether you’re between classes, engrossed in a paper or preparing for an exam, use emWave Desktop’s full-color graphics, lights and sound on your dorm or home computer or laptop to create greater mental clarity and emotional calm. (Check out the emWave Desktop for Mac and PC.)
- emWave®2: This second generation of HeartMath’s handheld stress-relief device displays in real time how stress affects your body, and ultimately helps you build composure and resilience.
- Power up the pocket-size emWave2 in the student union, on the steps of the library, sitting on the grass or anywhere else to lower stress and get in sync fast. (Check out The new emWave2.)
Save $50 on emWave
Click here to receive code to save $50.00 on emWave. Tell us that you are a college student and what college or university you are enrolled in. HeartMath will send you a $50 discount coupon code for the purchase of either the emWave Desktop or emWave2.
"I am a psych major in my third year at the University of British Columbia. I took my first two exams in Biopsychology of Behaviour and Adolescent Development and was stressed about them to say the least. I got 72.22% on my Biopsychology and 67.8 on my Adolescent Development midterms. I was very unhappy about these marks as I have been an A or B student since I started university. I spoke with my mom about my concerns with test taking and how I always seem to freeze up when I’m nervous and rush through the exam just to get it over with. She told me to try the TestEdge® program and monitor my stress level with the emWave handheld with my next two exams – on forensic psychology and statistics. I used the emWave to calm myself down before my exams and felt the feeling of appreciation surge through me when I was writing my exam, as opposed to the shaking, nervous feeling I had on my first two exams. The results were staggering.
I received 84% and 85%, respectively, on my statistics and forensic exams. I am positive the tool helped my exam-taking state and I will continue to practice, even without the actual tool, as now I know how to calm myself down before and while taking an exam. This is a tool I can use for the rest of my career, and not only with test taking, but general stressful situations as well."
Tools for Well-Being *Free Services!
- Tools for Well-Being: These practical, research-based tools are designed to help you reduce stress and self-regulate your emotions and assist you in creating greater coherence in your personal and academic life.
- Solutions for Stress: Here is a wealth of information and practical solutions for emotional stress, stress-related conditions and stressful situations – sleeplessness, anxiety, burnout and many others. Whether between your classes, job, relationships or study time, you need a blueprint for calming down. Solutions for Stress offers a compendium of helpful information.
HeartMath’s Scientific Monographs, formatted as e-booklets or e-books, are detailed analyses of key research conducted by HeartMath scientists over the last 20 years. These monographs cover areas such as emotional physiology, heart-brain interactions, intuition, emotional energetics, the physiology of learning, optimal performance and more.
Click here to receive code to save 25% on all Scientific Monographs. Tell us that you are a college student and what college or university you are enrolled in. HeartMath will send you a 25% discount coupon for any scientific monograph you wish to purchase.
The Appreciative Heart: The Psychophysiology of Positive Emotions and Optimal Functioning: A concise overview of the physiological correlates of positive emotions and the scientific underpinnings of two core HeartMath techniques.
Nonmembers go to The Appreciative Heart.
IHM Membership Benefits: For a small membership fee, you receive numerous resources for free, including this one. Members go to Free copy of The Appreciative Heart.
- The Coherent Heart: Heart-Brain Interactions, Psychophysiological Coherence, and the Emergence of System-Wide Order: This monograph offers an in-depth discussion of heart-brain interactions and takes a look at the heart’s role in organizing systemwide coherence. Go to The Coherent Heart.
The Energetic Heart: Bioelectromagnetic Interactions Within and Between People: This fascinating work explains bioelectromagnetic interactions within and between people and how the heart’s electromagnetic field acts as an important carrier of emotional information and key mediator of energetic interactions between people.
Nonmembers go to The Energetic Heart.
IHM Membership Benefits: For a small membership fee, you receive numerous resources for free, including this one. Members go to Free copy of The Energetic Heart.
Emotional Stress, Positive Emotions, and Psychophysiological Coherence: In layman’s terminology, research is presented to show that emotions, more than thoughts, activate the physiological changes comprising stress responses.
Nonmembers go to Emotional Stress.
IHM Membership Benefits: For a small membership fee, you receive numerous resources for free, including this one. Members go to Free copy of Emotional Stress.
- Heart-Brain Neurodynamics: The Making of Emotions: This monograph explores recent scientific advances that clarify a number of controversies in the understanding of emotion. It shows that the heart is a key component of the emotional system. Go to Heart-Brain Neurodynamics.
Browse other HeartMath Scientific Monographs.
PDF’s, Audio Files, Videos *Free Services!
Choose any of these additional *Free Services! in various file formats to help you boost energy, lower stress, build resilience and more. (You must be logged in – registration is free – to view these.)
- The State of Ease (PDF): College students face many demands and challenges as they pursue a degree. It is vital that college students create times during their busy lives where they can recharge their batteries and bring more ease into their busy lives. This 9 page booklet discusses tips and strategies for helping students learn to access "inner-ease." When operating in an ease-mode, it’s easier to choose less stressful perceptions and attitudes and re-create "flow" in our daily routines. The program is available in Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish.
- De-Stress Kit for the Changing Times (audio file or PDF): While you are engrossed in your studies and trying to keep in step with the relentless pace of college life, the world around you keeps on spinning. The Kit can help you maintain a steady ease and flow between both worlds. The Institute of HeartMath distribution of this compassionate work lays out a heartfelt roadmap for weathering these difficult times. The program is available in English, Spanish, French, German and Japanese.
- Emotional Stress and Your Health (video): The evidence today is overwhelming that positive emotional states are beneficial to health. Conversely, research shows that negative emotions like worry and anger can put college students on the fast track to poor academic performance and ill health. Practicing some of the simple emotion-refocusing tools taught in this video can help students stay on a steady course of academic success and good health.
- Transforming Stress (audio file): Stress can cause overload, deplete creativity and mental clarity and drain your energy. The tools described in this popular-selling book can help you reduce the stress inherent in college life, recharge your battery and build the resiliency you need to face ongoing and unexpected challenges. (audio file)
- The Inside Story: Understanding the Power of Feelings: Students of all ages turn to The Inside Story on or off campus to explore the interrelationship of emotions, health and performance; reduce turmoil and anger and enrich their academic and personal lives.
Members of the Institute of HeartMath can select from additional free PDF, Audio and Video downloads and more. *Free Services!
Books of HeartMath
Further reading about the science of stress and emotions, the physiology of learning and much more is available in the HeartMath Online Store. Use the following category links to narrow your search for HeartMath books that may interest you: